This was the 4th time I entered the Daily Telegraph Just Back writing competition. If at first you don’t succeed, Try, try, try again! I decided to book the experience after a walking trip around Mont Blanc (Mont Blanc Highlights). Here are some tips on how you can go glacier trekking in Chamonix:
- I booked with Evo2, a well established local company in Chamonix, the experience was from 9:00am to 4:00pm and the cost was 99 EUR.
- The company’s website is: http://www.evolution2-chamonix.com/glacier-hikes.htm
- Equipment rental is an extra 17.50 EUR (17.50€ / day in Coquoz / Sport 2000 shop, 306 rue du Dr Paccard)
- To reach the glacier, you will have to get a return ticket to take the Montenvers train up to the glacier (30.50€). I spent the rest of the afternoon exploring the ice caves (grotto de glace) and the museum.
- Bring lunch with you + sunglasses! The sun reflecting off the ice is extremely bright and sunglasses are a necessity.
- The article is online here
Travel Writing Competition
- Email your entry, in 500 words (with the text in the body of the email), to justback@
- The winner will receive £200 in the currency of their choice from the Post Office.
- The T&C’s are via this link.
- It is a weekly competition so lots of chances to try your travel writing entries!